Wednesday 31 January 2018

Vegan Dry January Day 31: The Last Post

Whatever gets you through.
Well, that's that then. A month of trying not to drink and managing to live on plant-based food.

Alcohol-wise I've cracked on four separate occasions. So - not dry at all, but I probably drank within recommended weekly limits for the first time since 2014. My thoughts on recommended limits haven't changed much since then, either.

Basically no doctor is going to recommend anything which potentially does you harm. The blanket, across-the-board nationally-recommended limit of 14 units a week is therefore designed to ensure 5' tall 7 stone women with poor metabolism and below average liver function don't do themselves any damage. The rest of us aren't going to be damaged by a limit like that either, which makes it medically sound.

Now - I think there's probably spare capacity in most peoples' systems to cope with a little more booze than 14 units a week, which is the equivalent of less than a pint of 4.1% beer (eg London Pride) a day.

After doing a fair bit of research into that theory back in 2014, I'm comfortable about living in a world where my total weekly alcohol consumption rises above 14 units a week. That said, alcohol is a highly addictive psychoactive drug, so keeping it out of your bloodstream for any period of time is be good for your health, if a bit boring.

On the vegan front, I'll be honest, I don't have much empathy for animals, companion or livestock, but I think it's pretty obvious there is a degree of cruelty involved in all animal food production. Even if they live happy, free and oblivious lives, gambolling around organic fields of lustrous fresh grass (which you can be almost 100% sure they're not), you're still cutting short their natural lifespan by electrocuting and/or shooting them.

Knowing this won't stop me from eating animal products in future, but it doesn't give me any reason to actively want to increase my intake. When you take into account global sustainability and personal health, you end up with three very strong reasons to eat plant-based food. So I'll do what I can.

I hope you've got something out of this blog and its witterings. Please do read this final post back to me in six months time when I'm scoffing down a doner after a night on the sauce. I'll be delighted.

No vlog today. I'm tired and I've got to monitor what's happening in the Darren Osborne trial.

Tale of the tape and archive below.

*************************

Weight: 11st 2.6lb

Exercise: 10 mins cycling, 30 mins walking

Food:

Bran flakes, weetabix and sultanas with oat milk. Tea with oat milk.
Paleo, trek, raw bars. Apple and satsuma.
itsu veggie gyoza udon later, probably. It's lush.

*************************

Vegan Dry January Day 31: The Last Post
Vegan Dry January Day 30: A Vegan in Downing Street
Vegan Dry-ish January Day 29: Can't see what all the fuss is about
Days 26 to 28 are Nonblogged.
Vegan Dry January Day 25: Simon Amstell is a Vegan
Days 20 to 24 are Nonblogged. 
Vegan Dry January Day 19: Peer review
Vegan Dry January Day 18: Are you a vegan?
Vegan Dry January Day 17: Mmm... cashews.... 
Vegan Dry January Day 16: Taking Stock
Vegan Dry January Day 15: A relapse
Days 13 and 14 are Nonblogged. 
Vegan Dry January Day 12: There was no Day 11
There really wasn't a day 11
Vegan Dry January Day 10: Alcohol wobble
Vegan Dry January Day 9: Avoiding four meals a day
Vegan Dry January Day 8: Smeared Poo
Vegan Dry January Day 7: Separation Anxiety
Vegan Dry January Day 6: Wastelands of Admin
Vegan Dry January Day 5: Oatly is the tits
Vegan Dry January Day 4: Milk is everywhere
Vegan Dry January Day 3: I've lost my nuts
Vegan Dry January Day 2: This is going well
Vegan Dry January Day 1: Vegan Dry January is go

1 comment:

  1. Nice information about drink but if we take alcoholic drink then Hangover Online will help you.

    ReplyDelete